Each year Deep Springs seeks scholars and artists who are qualified teachers, from graduate students to professors emeriti, for visiting professor positions. Read more about teaching at Deep Springs here. If you have questions not answered on the website, please contact the Curriculum Committee by email at any time.
Semester-Long Appointments: During our two standard semesters, September-December and January-April, we have two or three visiting scholars and artists teaching at Deep Springs. Visiting professors teach one class, usually in their specialty or discipline.
Interim Summer-Term Appointments: At the close of our main academic year, the seven-week interim summer term, (mid-May through June), is staffed largely by visiting professors. In addition to standard curricular offerings in any liberal arts field, this term is an opportunity for faculty applicants to offer classes of more particular, experimental, or eclectic focus.
Positions Open Now:
- Winter Semester 2019 (January – April): Deep Springs seeks a visiting professor in the social sciences to teach one class during the 2019 Winter Semester. Applications are especially sought in these fields:
- Policy and planning
Applications close January 15, 2018.
- Interim Summer Term 2019 (mid-May – June), three openings: Deep Springs seeks three visiting professors to teach one seven-week class each, during the 2019 Interim Summer Term. Applications are invited from the following disciplines:
- Energy and the Environment
- Cognitive Science/Psychology
- Media & Politics
- Urban Planning/Design
Applications close February 1, 2018.
Note: No positions are open for the 2018-2019 Fall Semester. Our search for semester-long natural sciences faculty in 2018-2019 is closed. Deep Springs does not plan to appoint additional non-teaching artists or writers-in-residence during the 2018-2019 academic year.
Upcoming Positions, 2019-2020:
In the 2019-2020 academic year we expect to seek two or three visiting professors each semester, as well as three visiting faculty members to teach during the 2020 Interim Summer Term. 2019-2020 academic year applications will be accepted in any discipline, beginning in October 2018.
Appointments for Scholars on Sabbatical Leave, 2019-2020 and Beyond: Deep Springs may make a limited number of short-term and summer appointments one to several years in advance, in order to accommodate applications from scholars planning sabbatical leaves from other institutions. Applications for the 2019-2020 academic year and beyond will be accepted at an time.
Application Procedures for Faculty Candidates
Deep Springs College now receives online applications. While paper and email applications will still be accepted, we prefer that you apply using the online form.
All applications should include the following:
- Cover Letter (briefly outlining three courses you might teach)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy
- Statement of Research Interests (for multi-year appointments only)
If you are offered a phone interview, we may also request:
- Reference Contacts
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
If you prefer not to use the online application, please send applications to:
Deep Springs College
HC 72 Box 45001
Dyer, Nevada 89010
or electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.